Telling stories is a hot topic in B2B marketing, as evidenced by recent articles covering transmedia storytelling and brand storytelling, among many others. But with so many different techniques and approaches being discussed, we wanted to take a closer look at what storytelling actually is, and how B2B marketers can use it to best effect.
Emily and Fiona are joined by James Henry*, a television scriptwriter with titles like Green Wing, Shaun the Sheep and Bob the Builder under his belt, and several comedy and drama projects currently in development with the BBC and independent producers.
We believe marketers can learn a great deal from professional storytellers like James. Listen to this episode and find out:
- The difference between a story and a series of events
- What makes an engaging story
- How the three-act structure works in business
- The importance of a “relatable character”
- Why brand storytelling is not customer friendly
- How companies can use the seven basic plots to create stories about their customers (like this video from AtTask)
- … and more
Download the episode here (right-click and “save as” to download). Or listen in the player at the top of the page.
* Disclosure: James is Fiona’s husband, podcast relationship-spotters.