In this month’s Good Copy, Bad Copy, we’re talking about writing social media copy for B2B brands – how to write it, what tactics work well, and what B2B marketing experts think great social content looks like.
Guest co-host Lorraine Williams, founder of Lighthouse Proofreading (and undisputed Queen of PDF Proofing), joins David to chat about the wonderful world of LinkedIn and the challenges of writing engaging content for a B2B audience.
You’ll also catch an interview with social media marketing guru Luan Wise. An independent marketing consultant and trainer, Luan knows all there is to know about social media marketing (she even runs courses for LinkedIn). Tune in to hear her best writing advice for B2B social content – as well as her recent research study about social media and how it’s changed in the pandemic.
Plus, three top B2B marketers share their favourite examples of great social content – and our very own Ben Philpott provides the copywriting tip of the month.
B2B social content: a sneak peek at Luan’s “what not to do” list
As Luan points out in her interview, social media marketing follows similar rules to any other kind of content – and anything you post needs to adhere to your brand and messaging. That means ensuring your voice is still clear and recognisable, and that you’re writing towards the right audience.
But along with these tips, Luan shares a few mistakes you should be careful to avoid:
- Don’t forget your call to action: You’re posting on social media to be social – so don’t forget to involve your reader in some way.
- Don’t go silent for weeks on end: Being consistently present is key to being great at B2B social media – so don’t just leave all your posting for a quiet month.
- Don’t publish clickbait or fake headlines: The clearer you are, the more your readers will care about what you have to say.
- Don’t overthink it: Plan out your social media strategy, then make posting a habit.
You can absorb more of Luan’s wisdom by (you guessed it) listening to the podcast, where you’ll also catch David and Lorraine talking about their own tips and tricks.
And be sure to check out Luan’s website for info on all the courses she runs, and a ton of free resources.
In this episode, you’ll find…
00.50 – (Enter stage left) Introducing this week’s co-host, Lorraine Williams
02.44 – Luan Wise spills the secrets of writing great social media content for B2B
22.31 – David and Lorraine chat about the joys and perils of writing for LinkedIn
35:35 – Three B2B experts share their favourite social media content
43:13 – Copywriting tip of the month, by our own Ben P
Anything you love or hate about this podcast?
We’d love to chat about it. You can contact us through @radixcom on Twitter or email@example.com. Or, if you’re feeling fancy, just send us a voice memo with what you want to say – we might even feature it next month.
As ever, if you’d like to leave us a review on your listening platform of choice, that’s always a bonus.
How to listen
- You can download the episode here (right click and select “Save As” to download)
- Or you can subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Alternatively, add our RSS to your preferred podcast player
- And don’t forget you can follow us on Spotify
- A massive thank you to Luan Wise for letting us pick your brain about all things social media. We really appreciate your time and insights.
- Thanks also to everyone who joined in the discussion about B2B social content on Propolis and LinkedIn – especially this month’s featured commenters: Dan Smith, Kate Roe, and Yvonne Deegan. Y’all rock.
- Thanks to Ben for the copywriting tip of the month, and of course a big thanks to Lorraine for being an awesome co-host, and an exceptional LinkedIn-er. It was great to hear your social media secrets (btw, here at Radix we’re firmly camp Hula Hoop).
- Podcast editing and music by Bang and Smash.