In this month’s Good Copy, Bad Copy, we’re getting serious about diversity and inclusion in B2B marketing content.
Guest co-host Kavita Singh, Assistant Editor at B2B Marketing, joins David to share her experiences starting in the UK’s B2B sector as both an American and a woman of colour – and to lay bare the societal shifts we’ve lived through this past year.
Of course, it wouldn’t be the same without a copywriting tip of the month – this time shared by our *newly promoted* not-junior copywriter (woohoo!), Lizzie Cresswell.
Diversity and inclusivity: what can we do better in B2B?
As Natalie puts it so well in our interview, the content we create (even in B2B) is a “mirror to society” – and it’s up to us to include more people in that reflection.
You may well be thinking about what you could possibly do to be more diverse and inclusive in a piece of content about, say, SaaS platforms. But as Natalie explains, there are small, positive changes we can all make to address unconscious biases and practices that can marginalise and exclude minority audiences.
For example, we can put empathy first and ask ourselves questions like:
- Who will approve this content before it goes live – and why?
- How might somebody who isn’t “the standard” perceive this content?
- Are we relying too much on the minorities within our business to drive the positive changes we want to see?
It’s a thought-provoking discussion that I think many of us could learn from. And as Natalie, Kavita and David explore in the podcast: not everyone always gets things right, so if called out, the trick is not to lash back – but to learn and move forwards.
It’s time we got comfortable with being uncomfortable.
In this episode, you’ll find…
01.09 – Introducing this episode’s co-host, Kavita Singh
04:30 – Natalie Narh talks intentional inclusivity in B2B content – and what it means for marketers
19:00 – Kavita discusses the impact of Black Lives Matter and her experiences entering the UK’s B2B sector as a woman of colour
39:00 – Copywriting tip of the month by our own Lizzie Cresswell
Anything you loved in this episode?
(Or really didn’t? That’s fine…)
Or, if you want to feature on the podcast itself, send us a voice memo our way.
How to listen
- You can download the episode here (right-click and select “Save As” to download)
- Or you can subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Alternatively, add our RSS to your preferred podcast player
- And don’t forget you can follow us on Spotify
- Huge thanks are due to Natalie Narh for your time and insight. It’s safe to say we’ve all learnt something important.
- And of course, thank you Kavita Singh for agreeing to co-host with our David – it was great hearing you work together.
- Finally, thank you Lizzie for the copywriting tip of the month.
Podcast editing and music by Bang and Smash